Saturday, October 21, 2006

So how about that course, huh?

Well, why not do this backwards? I actually quite liked the unit as a whole. It (particularly the workshops) provided me with a great deal of amusement if nothing else. It's nice to have a unit where I can let my inner geek run free. Unfortunately, I think the unit might have suffered a bit because the inner geek of many arts students is buried further than the unit could reach. I think that the unit could have gone a lot further, and been substantially more interesting for a handful of us, if there was an assumption of a greater level of background knowledge of the technology and ideas floating around. That said, the people taking the unit are mostly Arts students :P

I'm quite happy to concede that I'm a cyborg as defined inside the course. But I'm not sure if that judgment really has any practical relevance at all. Maybe I've been doing English and cultural theory for too long.

Weblogs. Weblogs were an interesting one. I think the idea of incorporating them into the course was a great one. I know they have serious potential for helping to exchange ideas, comedy, build community, etc. But I think that they weren't used as fully as they could have been. I felt a bit sorry for Lara actually, because she was interacting with us solely through the blog, and gave incredibly detailed and thoughtful analyses of each week's worth of readings and a few other things as we went along, but I don't think any one else on the blog really made an effort to engage with her, or with each other, even when we asked specific questions in our posts. I think this might also have been a property of Blogger though, because it's not really conducive to carrying on conversation-style discussion without threaded commenting and notification of comments. Basically I think setting up a LiveJournal (or one of the other LJ based journals) community would have been a better way to go.

Anyway, thanks for the unit people

Tom

1 Comments:

At Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:45:00 AM, Blogger L said...

Farewell and good luck with your future studies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home